Sunday, August 9, 2020

Who do you want to be?

When I was a teenager I never was one of the cool kids, as some may say... I always stayed home with a book in hand and that was basically my life until Senior year...

You could tell that I was basically a nerd, a geek whatever you want call it...But they never made fun of me or at least no that I know off...

People wanted to be around me beacuse of my father... You see I was the daughter of the beloved teacher in my home town. As I said my father was a P.E teacher at day and a folk dancing teacher at night, so most of the people in my age knew him and loved him.
 
He was and still is one of the most approachable teachers there is here, in this small town. They always looked at him as a mentor... My dad helped a lot of children to find their paths... Being involved in many things did the job. They respected him more than anyone.

Anyways, I always lived in that shadow of his. They always knew me as the daugher of Mr Kamp. They never remebered my name... well expect my classmates.

Everyone knew me as that, even from other schools that my dad teached... I was the daughter of the teacher. Nothing else. Nothing more.

So I just accepted it and I never associated much and stayed home. I escaped reality by writing and reading about the mystical and wonderfull worlds that my books were hiding. You know when I was a kid I always wanted to visit the land of Narnia. The series was one of the firsts books that made me love literature...and I thought that it was real. As a kid I lived in my own world and wanted to ecsape my reality so I always imagined being in the magical land of Narnia or being in a place were mythical beasts from Greek mythology existed, like Percy Jackson... But that stopped when I turned thirteen...

I went to High school and I figured that only my imagination can't help me...That's when I started writing...

So that kept me from pushing everyone away and be only by myself. I never actually had friends. They talked to me because I knew everything that had to deal with school, about teachers, field trips. Everything. Yeap, because of my dad.

Anyways, I never wanted to be recognised beacuse I was someone's daughter but that was the case with me. I was socialable with everyone but not actually involved. They put me in the class councel because I knew things and I knew how to work things out but other than that I pushed everyone away. Boys always tried to hit on me...I think it was kinda like a game when I went to 10th grade... "Who will be the winner of getting with the teacher's daughter?!". That never happened...

When my sister turned fifteen and I was seventeen I was always thought that she would end up like me...to be recognised as the teacher's daughter but that wasn's the case with her...

She told me that she wanted to be recognised for her and not because of our father... She took advantage of our name at the begining and actually became popular in her school. She had an attitude,she was a rebel and people  later knew her because of that and not because of the name.

Here is the catch then with me. After what happened with my sister I was recognised because of her and my father. Not because of me. Irony right? So that's when I woke up. 

I told myself that people are going to know me because of me and not because of my sister or my father... When I went into senior year everything changed. Like my sister, I took advantage of my sister's and my father's reputation and built my own on top of it.

I asked myseld 'Who I want to be and for what do I want to be recognised for?' , so that's why I started writing in Wattpad and got involved more with the student body. I helped a lot my classmates by helping them in passing their test and that's when I actually met my best friends...

We shouldn't push people who want to get to know us because most of the time we are going to regret it. Some people are meant to be in our lives whether we like it or not... I pulled my walls down and met my best friends that still stay by my side. The irony was we were classmates for many years...  

We shouldn't let other people define who we are and what to be because of our name or because we are expected to be something we are not... Don't make the same mistake I did because you are not going to be happy. Trust me. There is always time to fix things.

I am going to do what's right. One year to go. That's when my life actually starts.

 This gingerhead is out!

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destiny is not just one path

They say when you reach the middle of your twenties after you obtain a fisrt degree, you absolutely know what you are going to do with your ...